Sunday 28 March 2010

Elmside

Today I started my voluntary work at Elmside, a home for elderly care in Hitchin. Many of the residents go to church on a Sunday morning however those who do not often find themselves with little to do. I am volunteering for this morning period. Today I started talking to residents to keep them company and doing crosswords with small groups. Before I am able to make hot drinks in the cafe I need to learn the health and safety precautions.

In the home there is an area where sufferers from dementia live; these residents have a photograph of themselves outside of their room, due to the memory issues with the condition. I found this particularly interesting as I have recently completed a report on Alzheimer's disease with a friend, which may hopefully get published on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment