Friday 12 July 2013

My first HCA shift- An Outsider on the Inside



This morning I worked my first 6 hour shift. I was apprehensive because, not only had I not done this sort of work for 12 months, this care home had been in the media and was under close observation. 

When I turned up at 7.30, I was greeted by a frantic nurse who uttered the word 'CQC' to me- they had been inspecting the establishment since 4am. I instantly suspected that this wouldn't be a 'normal' shift. I spent the morning working in the dementia unit with a senior carer and 2 HCAs, similar ages to myself. After the initial routine of getting clients up, washed and fed breakfast, things started to change. 

I noticed an increase in the amount of people in the unit. It wasn't long before the home was full of social workers, inspectors, relatives, paramedics & the press: the home was shutting down. My duties shifted to packing suitcases and stripping beds, whilst trying to keep the frightened clients under control. 

I could tell that both the staff and the service users were having a difficult time. It was strange for me to be on the inside of the drama in  their personal stories. Although today I was working with them, I knew my day hadn't been the same as theirs. I wasn't being forced to leave the place I called home by men in ambulances nor was I about to lose my job as my workplace fell apart. 

Nobody likes to be moved against their will; we are creatures of comfort and we don't take kindly to change. Especially not those with dementia. For this confused and often aggressive group of people, routine is all they have to offer security. I wondered how the lady I had spent all morning with would cope in her new home, when she knew the layout of this one so well. She spends her days patrolling the corridors and lounges looking for 'Henry' which could mean anything from a blanket to glass of squash (she also called me and everyone else around us Henry). How well would she adapt when all her Henrys are suddenly different?

As for the carers, I really felt for them. The ladies I had been working with were good, honest and compassionate people who became overwhelmed when one by one the clients were taken away. What really stood out to me was how, despite the fact that they would be left without work, their real concerns sat with the clients. I busied myself clearing lunch plates and washing down tables as carers kissed and waved their clients goodbye, blubbing at the window. At my old care home, I had never seen anything of the sort, but then again i guess I'd never experienced a home being shut down by the authorities.

Seeing the film crew outside as I set off home, made me question the things that they  may be exposing in the media. Okay so I did notice that the carers didn't perhaps wash their hands a much as they should, but I did see real compassion from the few I was working alongside.
In a lot of ways it is a shame that the home had closed. However, without regulation where would we be? It's hard to make a proper judgement with such a narrow window, but we can only assume that the home was closed for good reasons. I really wish the people I met today all the best for the future, regardless of what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment